Deepak Vashishth, Ph.D., Professor of Biomedical Engineering
For appointments please contact Britnee Eskew, Email: email@example.com, Phone: 518-276-4232
Director of the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Center for Biotechnology & Interdisciplinary Studies (CBIS) since 2013, and conducting breakthrough research on bones, Deepak Vashishth, PhD, is working to redefine the role of a top tier research university: one that is engaged in public and private partnerships, involved in interdisciplinary research, and providing quality education, all to drive entrepreneurial, sustainable, socially responsible scientific discovery and technological innovation. Through his work as a University Center Director, previously as a School of Engineering Department head, and in professional societies he has successfully developed partnerships, programs and platforms, to drive translational scientific research across disciplines, sectors, and geographic boundaries. His collaborative interdisciplinary bone research is redefining how osteoporosis will be diagnosed and treated. And, fundamentally focused on education, he is preparing the next generation of researchers and the “faculty of the future” by infusing undergraduate and graduate programs with a more interdisciplinary, collaborative, global perspective on sustainable, translational scientific research.
His research interests are in the area of biomolecular science and engineering of extracellular matrix with particular emphasis on diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis and bone tissue engineering. Working in collaboration with others, his research group has identified new structural roles for bone proteins and developed new biomimickry-based strategies for tissue engineering scaffolds. Professor Vashishth and his research group have published more than 200 peer-reviewed journal publications and conference proceedings in top journals including PNAS, Molecular and Cellular Proteomics, Plos One and others. His work, presented in the form of more than 100 invited and contributed lectures, has been cited as a “New Hope for Osteoporosis Patients” and “Secret Formula for Bone Strength” in mainstream media. He is fellow of the AIMBE and serves as a member of the National Institutes of Health study section on Skeletal Biology and Skeletal Regeneration. He is a board member of the Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials and a regular reviewer for other federal and international funding agencies, private foundations and university grants, and journals. He is a member of the Biomedical Engineering Society, American Society of Bone and Mineral Research and the Orthopaedic Research Society.
Dr. Vashishth is a dedicated, creative, and future-focused educator who has won Rensselaer awards for outstanding and innovative classroom teaching including the Class of 1951 Outstanding Teaching award.
He earned his B. Eng with honors from Malaviya National Institute of Technology (India), MS from West Virginia University (USA) and PhD from the University of London (UK). He then conducted post-doctoral research at the Bone and Joint Center, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Henry Ford Hospital before joining Rensselaer as an Assistant Professor in Biomedical Engineering in 1999.
- Angel Garcia, Ph.D., Professor & Department Head of Physics, Applied Physics, and Astronomy and Senior Constellation Chaired Professor in Biocomputation & Bioinformatics
- Richard A. Gross, Ph.D., Chaired Constellation Professor of Biocatalysis & Metabolic Engineering, and Dept. of Chemistry & Chemical Biology
- Mattheos Koffas, Ph.D., Career Development Associate Professor, Chemical and Biological Engineering
- Robert J. Linhardt, Ph.D., Ann and John H. Broadbent, Jr. '59 Senior Constellation Professor of Biocatalysis & Metabolic Engineering, and Dept. of Chemistry & Chemical Biology
- Marimar Lopez, Ph.D., Director, CBIS Cores (temporary appointment)
- George Makhatadze, George, Ph.D., Chaired Constellation Professor in Biocomputation & Bioinformatics and Professor of Biology
- Catherine A. Royer, Ph.D., Endowed Constellation Professor in Biocomputation & Bioinformatics, Professor of Biology
- Deepak Vashishth, Ph.D., Director, Center for Biotechnology & Interdisciplinary Studies, Professor of Biomedical Engineering