B. Wayne Bequette
Professor and Associate Director of the Center for Automation Technologies and Systems (CATS)
Dr. Bequette served as President of the American Automatic Control Council (AACC) in 2008-9, and is currently the Board Secretary. He was the AIChE CAST Division Programming Chair (2010-2013), and is the Meeting Program Chair for the 2014 Annual AIChE Meeting in Atlanta. He is a Fellow of the AIMBE (2014) and AIChE (2008), was inducted into the Arkansas Academy of Chemical Engineers (April, 2007), received the Rensselaer School of Engineering Research Excellence Award (2008) and the Rensselaer Jerome Fischbach Travel Award (2013). He is a Trustee of the CACHE Corporation (2010-present). Dr. Bequette is the author of Process Control: Modeling, Design and Simulation (2003) and Process Dynamics: Modeling, Analysis and Simulation (1998), both published by Prentice Hall. He served as the Guest Editor of Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics (February, 2005), and also edited special issues on Process Control for the IEEE Control Systems Magazine (August and December, 2006). He is a founding member of the editorial board of the Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, and has co-edited a number of special issues on algorithms for sensors and a closed-loop artificial pancreas. He also serves on the Editorial Board for Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research (I&ECR).
1980 B.S. Ch.E. University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 1985 M.S.E. University of Texas, Austin 1986 Ph.D. University of Texas, Austin
- Bequette, B.W. Hypoglycemia Prevention using Low Glucose Suspend Systems. Chapter 3 in Data-driven Modeling for Diagnosis and Treatment of Diabetes. V. Marmarelis and G. Mitsis (eds.). Springer (in press, 2014).
- Bequette, B.W. Control in Physiology and Medicine. Chapter 2 (pp. 13-44) in Modelling Methodology for Physiology and Medicine, E. Carson and C. Cobelli (eds.), 2nd edition, Academic Press (2014).
- Maahs DM, Calhoun P, Buckingham BA, Chase HP, Hramiak I, Lum J, Cameron F, Bequette BW, Aye T, Paul HT, Slover R, Wadwa P, Wilson DM, Kollman C, Beck RW. A randomized trial of a home system to reduce hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2014; in press.
- Wang Y, Fang M, Jiang X, Bequette BW, Xie H, Intensive insulin therapy for critically ill subjects based on direct data-driven model predictive control. J. Proc. Cont. 2014;24 (in press).
- Ramkissoon C, Aufderheide B, Bequette BW, Palerm CC. A model of glucose-insulin-pramlintide pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in type 1 diabetes. J. Diabetes Sci. Technol. 2014;8(2)(on-line, ahead of print: doi:10.1177/1932296813517323).
- Stenerson M, Cameron F, Wilson DM, Harris B, Payne S, Bequette BW, Buckingham BA. The impact of accelerometer and heart rate data on hypoglycemia mitigation in type 1 diabetes. J. Diabetes Sci. Technol, 2014;8(1):64-69.
- Bequette, B.W. Algorithms for a Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas: The Case for Model Predictive Control (MPC). J. Diabetes Sci. Technol. 2013;7(6):1632-1643.
- Buckingham BA, Cameron F, Calhoun P, Maahs DM, Wilson DM, Chase HP, Bequette BW, Lum J, Sibayan J, Beck RW, Kollman C. Outpatient safety assessment of an in-home predictive low-glucose suspend system with T1D subjects at elevated risk of nocturnal hypoglycemia. Diabetes Tech. Ther. 2013;15(8):622-627.
- Mahapatra P, Bequette BW. Design and Control of an Elevated-Pressure Air Separations Unit for IGCC Power Plants in a Process Simulator Environment. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 52(9):3178-3191 (2013).
- Bequette BW. Challenges and Progress in the Development of a Closed-loop Artificial Pancreas. Annual Reviews in Control 36, 255-266 (2012).
- Cameron F, Niemeyer G, Bequette BW. Extended multiple model prediction with application to blood glucose regulation. J. Process Control, 22(7):1422-1432 (2012).
- Sun J, Cameron, Bequette BW. A Habituating Blood Glucose Control Strategy for the Critically Ill. J. Process Control, 22(7):1411-1421 (2012).
- Cameron F, Wilson DM, Buckingham BA, Arzumanyan H, Clinton P, Chase HP, Lum J, Maahs DM, Calhoun PM, Bequette BW. In-Patient Studies of a Kalman Filter based Predictive Pump Shut-off Algorithm. J. Diabetes Sci. Technol., 6(5):1142-1147 (2012).
- Weinstock RS, Bristol S, Armenia A, Gesswein AC, Bequette BW, Willis JP. Pilot Study of a Prototype Minimally Invasive Intradermal Continuous Glucose Sensor. J. Diabetes Sci. Technol. 6(6):1454-1463 (2012).
- Cameron, F., B.W. Bequette, D.M. Wilson, B.A. Buckingham, H. Lee and G. Niemeyer “A Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas Based on Risk Management,” J. Diabetes Sci. Technol., 5(2), 368-379 (2011).
- Joseph El Youssef, Jessica R. Castle, Deborah L. Branigan, Ryan G. Massoud, Mathew E. Breen, Peter G. Jacobs, B. Wayne Bequette, W. Kenneth Ward “A Controlled Study of the Effectiveness of an Adaptive Closed-Loop Algorithm to Minimize Corticosteroid-Induced Stress Hyperglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes J. Diabetes Sci. Technol., 5(6), 1312-1326 (2011).
- Doyle, F.J. III, B.W. Bequette, R. Middleton, B. Ogunnaike, B. Paden, R.S. Parker and M. Vidyasagar, “Control in Biological Systems,” in The Impact of Control Technology, T. Samad and A.M. Annaswamy (eds.), 2011. IEEE Control Systems Society. Available at ieee.org.
- Kuure-Kinsey, M. and B.W. Bequette “A Multiple Model Predictive Control Strategy for Disturbance Rejection,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 49(17), 7983-7989 (2010).
- Dassau, E., F. Cameron, H. Lee, B.W. Bequette, H. Zisser, L. Jovanovic, H.P. Chase, D.M. Wilson, B.A. Buckingham and F.J. Doyle III. “Real-time Hypoglycemia Prediction Suite Using Continuous Glucose Monitoring: A safety net for the artificial pancreas,” Diabetes Care, 33(6), 1249-1254 (2010).
- Buckingham, B, H.P. Chase, E. Dassau, E. Cobry, P. Clinton, V. Gage, K. Caswell, J. Wilkinson, F. Cameron, H. Lee, B.W. Bequette, F.J. Doyle III “Prevention of Nocturnal Hypoglycemia Using Predictive Alarm Algorithms and Insulin Pump Suspension,” Diabetes Care, 33(5), 1013-1018 (2010).
- Bequette, B.W. Continuous Glucose Monitoring: Real-Time Algorithms for Calibration, Filtering and Alarms. J. Diabetes Science and Technology, 4(2), 404-418 (2010).
- Andress, R.J., L.L. Martin and B.W. Bequette “A Systems Approach Towards the Identification and Evaluation of Hydrogen Producing Thermochemical Reaction Clusters,” Chapter 41 (pp. 451-459) in Design for Energy and the Environment. Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on the Foundations of Computer-Aided Process Design. M.M. El-Halwagi and A.A. Linninger (eds.), CRC Press, Taylor & Francis (2010).
- Patek, S.D., B.W. Bequette, M. Breton, B.A. Buckingham, E. Dassau, F.J. Doyle III, J. Lum, L. Magni and H. Zisser “In Silico Preclinical Trials: Methodology and Engineering Guide to Closed-Loop Control,” J. Diabetes Science and Technology, 3(2), 269-282 (2009).
- Lee, H., B.A. Buckingham, D.M. Wilson and B.W. Bequette “A Closed-loop Artificial Pancreas Using Model Predictive Control and a Sliding Meal Size Estimator,” J. Diabetes Sci. Tech., 3(5), 1082-1090 (2009).
- Bequette, B.W. “Glucose Clamp Algorithms and Insulin Time-Action Profiles,” J. Diabetes Sci. Tech., 3(5), 1005-1013 (2009).
- Lee, H. and B.W. Bequette “A Closed-loop Artificial Pancreas based on MPC: human-friendly identification and automatic meal disturbance rejection,” Biomedical Signal Processing and Control 4(4), 347-354 (2009).
- Andress, R.J., X. Huang, B.W. Bequette and L.L. Martin “A Systematic Methodology for the Evaluation of Thermochemical Cycles for Hydrogen Production,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 34(9), 4146-4154 (2009).
- Bequette, B.W. “A Critical Assessment of Algorithms and Challenges in the Development of an Artificial Pancreas,” Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics, 7(1), 28-47 (2005).
- Bequette, B.W. Process Control: Modeling, Design and Simulation, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ (2003).
- Bequette, B.W. Process Dynamics: Modeling, Analysis and Simulation, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ (1998).