Professor Isaacson works in two areas: mathematical physics and medical imaging. His work in mathematical physics has centered on the development of methods for approximating energy levels, particle masses, and critical exponents in quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and statistical mechanics. His work in medical imaging has centered on the development of algorithms and devices for measuring and displaying the electrical state of the interior of a body from measurements made on the body's exterior. The long term goal of this research is to improve the diagnosis and treatment of heart disease and cancer.
Ph.D., Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences, New York University, 1976
- Real-time 3D electrical impedance imaging for ventilation and perfusion of the lung in lateral decubitus position, Tzu-Jen Kao, Bruce Amm, Xin Wang, Gregory Boverman, David Shoudy, James Sabatini, Jeffrey Ashe, Jonathan Newell, Gary Saulnier, David Isaacson, David Davenport, Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC) 36th Annual International Conference of the IEEE , p. 1135 – 1138, 2014.
- Real-time 3D electrical impedance imaging for ventilation monitoring of the lung: Pilot study, Amm B, Tzu-Jen Kao, Xin Wang, Boverman G, Shoudy D, Sabatini J, Ashe J, Newell J, Saulnier G, Isaacson D, Davenport D, Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society. IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, p. 6064-6067, 2014.
- Adaptive techniques in electrical impedance tomography reconstruction, Taoran Li, David Isaacson, Jonathan C Newell, Gary J Saulnier, Physiological measurement, vol. 35, issue 6, p.1111, 2014.
- A finite difference solver for the D-Bar Equation, P. Muller, D. Isaacson, J. Newell, G. Saulnier, Proc. 15th Int. Conf. on Biomedical applications of EIT, p. 26, 2014.
- Adaptive Kacmarz method for cardiac activity reconstruction in electrical impedance tomography, T. Li, D. Isaacson, J. Newell, G. Saulnier, Proc. 15th Int. Conf. on Biomedical applications of EIT, p. 56, 2014.
- Estimating a regional ventilation-perfusion index, PA Muller, T. Li, D. Isaacson, J.C. Newell, G.J. Saulnier, T.J. Kao, J. Ashe, Physiological measurement, No. 36, p.1283- 1295, 2015.
- Publications available on Google Scholar by copying and pasting the following link into a browser. https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=f14WDhsAAAAJ&hl=en