Ingrid Wilke joined RPI's Department of Physics, Applied Physics & Astronomy as a faculty member in 2002. Prior to her appointment at RPI, she spent seven years as a senior research associate (C1) at the University of Hamburg's (Germany) Institute of Applied Physics. She has done post-doctoral work at both the University of Tokyo's Institute of Industrial Science and at the Lawrence Berkley National Laboratory, Materials and Chemical Science division. Her research areas are: Time-domain Terahertz (THz) spectroscopy, Ultrafast spectroscopy and applications of femtosecond laser pulses.
Ingrid Wilke's primary research focus is experimental terahertz (THz) wave science and technology as well as ultrafast laser applications. Terahertz wave technologies are materials, devices, systems and processes involving THz frequency electromagnetic waves. Terahertz waves are invisible to the human eye. In our solar system, the Sun is a natural source of THz waves. Broadly, THz waves are employed for spectroscopy, imaging and sensing. Her research specifically addresses the development of photonic THz radiation sources detectors and systems. Another specific area of research interest is the response of natural and artificial materials when exposed to THz waves.
Experimental Methods: Time-domain THz-emission measurements, time-domain THz transmission and reflection spectroscopy, phase-sensitive backward wave oscillator based THz-spectroscopy, femtosecond optical transient reflectivity and transmittivity measurements, femtosecond optical four-wave mixing, femtosecond laser nanoprocessing of living cells and fluorescence microscopy.
Materials of interest: Natural inorganic and biological materials, e.g. clay minerals, biological tissue, semiconductors, superconductors, dielectrics, glasses, ceramics.
Habilitation, Physics, University of Hamburg, 2002.
Certificate Higher Education, University of Hamburg (Germany), 2001.
Ph.D., Physics, ETH Zuerich (Switzerland), 1993.
Diploma in Physics, University of Wuerzburg (Germany), 1988.
M. Sc., Physics, State University of New York (SUNY) at Albany, USA, 1986.
Abitur Rudolf-Koch-Schule, Offenbach am Main (Germany), 1982.
- Alan F. Ney Boss, A. C. da Cunha Migliano, Ingrid Wilke Copper Cobalt Magnetic Ceramic Materials Characterization at Terahertz Frequencies Journal of Aerospace Technology and Management (2017) in print
- Ingrid Wilke, V. Ramanathan, J. LaChance, A. Tamalonis, M. Aldersley, P. C. Joshi, J. Ferris, Characterization of the terahertz frequency optical constants of montmorillonite, Applied Clay Science, 87, 61-65, (2014).
- Ingrid Wilke, Yujie J. Ding, Tatiana V. Shubina, Optically- and Electrically-Stimulated Terahertz Radiation Emission from Indium Nitride, Journal of Infrared, Millimeter and Terahertz Waves 33, 559 (2012) (invited review).
- Suranjana Sengupta, Ingrid Wilke, Partha S. Dutta, Femtosecond carrier dynamics in native and high resistivity iron-doped GaxIn1-xAs, Journal of Applied Physics 107, 033104 (2010).
- R. Ascazubi, Ingrid Wilke, K. Denniston, H. Lu, W. Schaff, Terahertz emission by InN, Applied Physics Letters, 84, 4810 (2004).
- Ingrid Wilke, A. M. MacLeod, W. A. Gillespie, G. Berden, G. M. H. Knippels, A. F. G. van der Meer, Single-shot electron-beam bunch length measurements, Physical Review. Letters 88, 124801 (2002). (OSA Highlight in Optics 2012)
- S.D.Ganichev, E.Ziemann, Th.Gleim, W.Prettl, I.N.Yassievich,V.I.Perel, Ingrid Wilke, E.E.Haller, Carrier tunneling in high-frequency electric fields, Physical Review Letters, 80 (11), 2409 (1998).
- Ingrid Wilke, W.Herrmann, F.K.Kneubuehl, Integrated nanostrip dipole antennas for coherent 30THz infrared radiation, Applied Physics. B 58, 87 (1994) (invited article).
- Ingrid Wilke, Y.Oppliger, W.Herrmann, F.K.Kneubuehl Nanometer thin-film Ni-NiO-Ni diodes for 30THz radiation Applied Physics A 58, 329 (1994) (invited article).
- C. Peng, R. E. Palazzo, Ingrid Wilke Laser intensity dependence of femtosecond near-infrared optoinjection Physical Review E 75, 041903 (2007).
- R. Ascazubi, Ingrid Wilke, K. J. Kim, Partha Dutta Terahertz emission from GaIn Sb Physical Review B 74, 075323 (2006).
- R. Ascazubi, Ingrid Wilke, S. Cho, H. Lu, W. Schaff Ultrafast recombination in Si-doped InN Applied Physics Letters 88, 112111 (2006).
- R. Ascazubi, C. Shneider, Ingrid Wilke, R. Pino, P. Dutta Enhanced terahertz emission from impurity-compensated GaSb Physical Review B, 72, 045328 15. (2005).
- T. Korn, A. Jaye, S. Schnüll, Ingrid Wilke Characterization of nanometer As-clusters in low-temperature grown GaAs by transient reflectivity measurements Journal of. Applied. Physics 91, 2333 (2002.)
- M. Khazan, R. Meissner, Ingrid Wilke Convertible transmission-reflection time-domain terahertz spectrometer Review of Scientific Instruments 72, 3427 (2001.)
- Ingrid Wilke, M.Khazan, C.T.Rieck, T.Kaiser, P.Kuzel, C.Jaekel, H.Kurz Terahertz surface resistance of high temperature superconducting thin films Journal of Applied Physics 87, 2984 (2000).
- Ingrid Wilke, S. Sengupta Nonlinear Optical Techniques for Terahertz Pulse Generation and Detection – Optical Rectification and Electrooptic Sampling in Terahertz Spectroscopy : Principles and Applications, edited by S. L. Dexheimer, Optical Science and Engineering vol. 131, 41, CRC Press (2007).
- C.Nowak, Ingrid Wilke, U.Wollmer (Hg.) Kiss The Future ! Physikerinnen stellen sich vor, Tagungsband der Deutschen Physikerinnentagung 1998 Verlag Hoffmann und Hoyer 1999.
- Ingrid Wilke, R. Ascazubi, H. Lu, W. J. Schaff Terahertz emission from silicon and magnesium doped indium nitride Applied Physics Letters 93, 221113 (2008).
- Suranjana Sengupta, Ingrid Wilke, Partha S. Dutta Ultrafast carrier mobilities in high-resistivity iron-doped Ga0.69In0.31As photoconducting antennas Applied Physics Letters 95, 211102, (2009).
- O.D.Dubon, Ingrid Wilke, J.W.Beeman, E.E.Haller Dependence of the hole lifetime on uniaxial stress in Ga-doped Ge Physical Review B51, 7349 (1995).
- Y. Ko, S. Sengupta, S. Tomasulo, P. Dutta, Ingrid Wilke Emission of terahertz-frequency electromagnetic radiation from bulk GaxIn1-xAs crystals Physical Review B 78, 035201 (2008).
- Ingrid Wilke Terahertz Spectroscopy Encyclopedia of Analytical Chemistry Edited by R. A. Meyers, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. (2008).