Leo Q. Wan
Leo received both B.S. and M. Eng. degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Science and Technology of China (USTC), and a PhD in Biomedical Engineering from Columbia University, where he became a post-doc on stem cells and tissue engineering. He joined the Biomedical Engineering Department at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute as an assistant professor in 2011, and became an associate professor in 2016.
Leo's research is focused on developing novel strategies for tissue regeneration/repair, and establishing innovative organ-on-a-chip devices for disease diagnosis and drug screening. His lab unitizes interdisciplinary approaches including micro-/nanofabrication, stem cells, tissue engineering, biomaterial, cell/tissue biomechanics, and bioimaging.
Leo is a Pew scholar (Class 2013), and recipient of NIH Director's New Innovator Award, National Science Foundation Early Career Award, American Heart Association Scientist Development Grant, and the March of Dimes Basil O’Connor Starter Scholar Research Award.
Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, Columbia University 2007
M.Eng. in Fluid Mechanics, University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) 2001
B.S. in Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, University of Science and Technology of China (USTC) 1998
- MJ Raymond, P Ray, G Kaur, P Haynes, M Fredericks, AV Singh, and LQ Wan, Multiaxial Polarity Determines Individual Cellular and Nuclear Chirality, submitted.
- AE Abu-Hakmeh, A Kung, B Mintz, S Kamal, J Cooper, LX Lu, LQ Wan*, Sequential Gelation of Tyramine Substituted Hyaluronic Acid Hydrogels Enhances Mechanical Integrity and Cell Viability, in revision.
- MJ Raymond, P Ray, G Kaur, AV Singh, and LQ Wan, Cellular and Nuclear Alignment Analysis for Determining Epithelial Cell Chirality, Annals of Biomedical Engineering, epub ahead of print, doi: 10.1007/s10439-015-1431-3.
- X Chen, Y Zhou, BK Zimmerman, L Wang, MH Santare, LQ Wan, and XL Lu, Determining Tension-Compression Nonlinear Mechanical Properties of Articular Cartilage from Indentation Testing. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, epub ahead of print, doi:10. 1007/ s10439-015-1402-8.
- AKM Fleck and LQ Wan, Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Healthy, Diseased, and Regenerated Cartilage, Current Tissue Engineering, epub ahead of print, doi: 10.2174/2211542004666150713184556.
- Y Zhou, MA David, X Chen, LQ Wan, RL Duncan, L Wang and XL Lu, 2015. Effects of Osmolarity on the Spontaneous Calcium Signaling of In Situ Juvenile and Adult Articular Chondrocytes. Annals of Biomedical Engineering, epub ahead of print, doi: 10.1007/s10439-015-1406-4.
- J Xie, T Owen, K Xia, AV Singh$, E Tou, B Arduini, H Li, LQ Wan, B Callahan, and C Wang, 2015. Zinc Inhibits Hedgehog Autoprocessing: Linking Zinc Deficiency with Hedgehog Activation, Journal of Biological Chemistry, 290(18), pp.11591-600.
- KE Worley, D Shieh, and LQ Wan, 2015. Inhibition of Cell-Cell Adhesion Impairs Epithelial Chiral Morphogenesis on Micropatterned surfaces, Integrative Biology, 7(5), pp. 580-90.
- AV Singh, M Raymond, F Pace, A Certo, JM Zuidema, CA McKay, RJ Gilbert, XL Lu, and LQ Wan*, 2015. Astrocytes Increase ATP Exocytosis Mediated Calcium Signaling in Response to Microgroove Structures, Scientific Reports, 5: 7848.
- S Bhumiratana, RE Eton, SR Oungoulian, LQ Wan, GA Ateshian, and G Vunjak-Novakovic, 2014. Large, Stratified, and Mechanically Functional Human Cartilage Grown in vitro by Mesenchymal Condensation, Proceedings of National Academy of Science, 111(19), pp. 6940-5.
- AE Abu-Hakmeh AE, and LQ Wan*, 2014. High-Throughput Cell Aggregate Culture for Stem Cell Chondrogenesis, Methods in Molecular Biology, 1202:11-9.
- AV Singh, KK Mehta, K Worley, JS Dordick, RS Kane, and LQ Wan*, 2014. Carbon Nanotube-Induced Loss of Multicellular Chirality on Micropatterned Substrate Is Mediated by Oxidative Stress, ACS Nano, 8(3), pp. 2196-205.
- YS Zhang, A Sevilla, LQ Wan, IR Lemischka, and G Vunjak-Novakovic, 2013. Patterning Pluripotency in Embryonic Stem Cells, Stem Cells, 31(9):1806-15.
- LQ Wan*, K Ronaldson, M Guirguis, and G. Vunjak-Novakovic*, 2013. Micropatterning of Cells Reveals Chiral Morphogenesis, Stem Cell Research and Therapy, 4:24-31.
- K Worley, A Certo, and LQ Wan*, 2013. Geometry-Force Control of Stem Cell Fate, BioNanoScience, 3(1), pp. 43-51.
- NT Khanarian, J Jiang, LQ Wan, VC Mow, and HH Lu, 2012. A Hydrogel-Mineral Composite Scaffold for Osteochondral Interface Tissue Engineering, Tissue Engineering, 18(5-6), pp. 533-45.
- T Zhang, LQ Wan, A Marsano, R Maidhof, and G Vunjak-Novakovic, 2012. Chitosan-Collagen Based Channeled Scaffold for Cardiac Tissue Engineering, Journal of Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, 6(9), pp.748-756.
- LQ Wan and G Vunjak-Novakovic. Micropatterning Chiral Morphogenesis, 2011. Communicative & Integrative Biology, 4(6), pp. 748-756.
- LQ Wan, K Ronaldson, M Park, G Taylor, Y Zhang, JM Gimble, and G Vunjak-Novakovic, 2011. Micropatterned Mammalian Cells Exhibit Phenotype-Specific Left-Right Asymmetry, Proceedings of National Academy of Science, 108(30), pp. 12295-300.
- AF Godier-Furnémont, TP Martens, MS Koeckert, LQ Wan, JJ Parks, K Arai, G Zhang, BJ Hudson, S Homma, and G Vunjak-Novakovic, 2011. Composite Scaffold Provides A Cell Delivery Platform For Cardiovascular Repair, Proceedings of National Academy of Science, 108(19), pp. 7974-9.
- N Tandon, A Marsano, R Maidhof, LQ Wan, H Park, and G Vunjak-Novakovic, 2011. Optimization of Electrical Stimulation Parameters for Cardiac Tissue Engineering, Journal of Tissue Engineering & Regenerative Medicine, 5(6), pp.115-25.
- LQ Wan, J Jiang, DE Arnold, XE Guo, VC Mow, and HH Lu, 2011. Matrix Deposition Modulates Viscoelastic Shear Properties of Hydrogel-Based Engineered Cartilage Tissue, Tissue Engineering Part A, 17(7-8), pp.1111-22.
- LQ Wan, SM Kang, G Eng, WL Grayson, XL Lu, B Huo, J Gimble, XE Guo, VC Mow, and G Vunjak-Novakovic, 2010. Geometric Control of Adult Human Stem Cell Morphology and Differentiation, Integrative Biology, 2(7-8), pp. 346-53.
- A Marsano, R Maidhof, LQ Wan, Y Wang, J Gao, N Tandon, and G Vunjak-Novakovic, 2010. Scaffold Stiffness Affects the Contractile Function of Three-Dimensional Engineered Cardiac Constructs, Biotechnology Progress, 26(5), pp.1382-90.
- XL Lu, LQ Wan, XE Guo, and VC Mow, 2010. A Linearized Formulation of Triphasic Mixture Theory for Articular Cartilage, and Its Application to Indentation Analysis, Journal of Biomechanics, 43(4), pp. 673-9.
- LQ Wan, XE Guo, and VC Mow, 2010. A Triphasic Orthotropic Laminate Model for Cartilage Curling Behavior: Fixed Charge Density vs. Mechanical Properties Inhomogeneity, Journal of Biomechanical Engineering, 132(2): 4504.
- WL Grayson, M Fröhlich, K Yeager, S Bhumiratana, C Canizzarro, LQ Wan, E Chan, X Liu, XE Guo, and G Vunjak-Novakovic, 2010. Engineering Anatomically-Shaped Human Mandibular Bone Grafts, Proceedings of National Academy of Science, 107(8), pp. 3299-304.
- DO Freytes, LQ Wan, and G Vunjak-Novakovic, 2009. Geometry and Force Control of Cell Function, Journal of Cellular Biochemistry, 108(5), pp. 1047-58.
- TP Martens, AFG Godier, JP Parks, LQ Wan, MS Koeckert, J Ifkovits, JA Burdick, W Sherman, and G Vunjak-Novakovic, 2009. Catheter-Based Delivery and In Situ Polymerization of Cell-Hydrogel Suspensions, Cell Transplantation, 18(3), pp. 297-304.
- LQ Wan and VC Mow, 2008. Cellular and Molecular Biomechanics: the Articular Cartilage Paradigm — A Review, Journal of Medical Biomechanics, 23(1), pp. 1-18.
- M Fröhlich, WL Grayson, LQ Wan, D Marolt, M Drobnic, and G Vunjak-Novakovic, 2008. Tissue Engineered Bone Grafts: Biological Requirements, Tissue Culture and Clinical Relevance, Current Stem Cell Research & Therapy, 2008, 3 (4), pp. 254-264.
- LQ Wan, J Jiang, DE Arnold, XE Guo, HH Lu, and VC Mow, 2008. Calcium Concentration Effects on the Mechanical and Biochemical Properties of Chondrocyte-Alginate Constructs, Cellular and Molecular Bioengineering, 1(1), pp. 93-102.
- LQ Wan, C Miller, XE Guo, and VC Mow, 2004. Fixed Electrical Charges and Mobile Ions Affect the Measurable Mechano-Electrochemical Properties of Charged-Hydrated Biological Tissues: The Articular Cartilage Paradigm, Mechanics & Chemistry of Biosystems, 1(1), pp. 81-99