Ryan Gilbert received an undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan – Ann Arbor in Chemical Engineering (High Honors) in 1997. He then received a Ph.D. degree in 2006 in Biomedical Engineering from Case Western Reserve University for his contributions in discovering specific chondroitin sulfate glycosaminoglycans responsible for inhibiting axonal regeneration. Currently, Dr. Gilbert’s laboratory is focused on developing biomaterials for cancer and central nervous system applications.
Ph.D., Case Western Reserve University Biomedical Engineering B.S.E., University of Michigan – Ann Arbor Chemical Engineering
- Abigail Koppes, Nicholas Zaccor, Christopher Rivet, Laura Williams, Jennifer Piselli, Ryan Gilbert and Deanna Thompson, “Neurite outgrowth on electrospun PLLA fibers is enhanced by exogenous electrical stimulation” Journal of Neural Engineering. In Press. 2014
- Jonathan M Zuidema, María C Hyzinski-García, Kristien Van Vlasselaer, Nicholas W Zaccor, George E Plopper, Alexander A Mongin, Ryan J Gilbert, “Enhanced GLT-1 mediated glutamate uptake and migration of primary astrocytes directed by fibronectin-coated electrospun poly-l-lactic acid fibers,” Biomaterials, 35(5): 1439-1449. 2014.
- Christopher J Rivet, Yuan Yuan, Ryan J Gilbert, Diana-Andra Borca-Tasciuc, “Effect of magnetic nanoparticle heating on cortical neuron viability,” International Journal of Hyperthermia, 30(2): 79-85. 2014.
- Christopher A McKay, Rebecca D Pomrenke, Joshua S McLane, Nicholas J Schaub, Elise K DeSimone, Lee A Ligon, Ryan J Gilbert, “An Injectable, Calcium Responsive Composite Hydrogel for the Treatment of Acute Spinal Cord Injury,” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces, 6(3): 1424-1438. 2014.
- Jonathan M Zuidema, Christopher J Rivet, Ryan J Gilbert, Faith A Morrison, “A protocol for rheological characterization of hydrogels for tissue engineering strategies,” Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B: Applied Biomaterials, In Press. 2014.
- Nicholas J Schaub, Tara Britton, Rupak Rajachar, Ryan J Gilbert, “Engineered Nanotopography on Electrospun PLLA Microfiberrs Modifies RAW 264.7 Cell Response,” ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces. 5(20): 10173-10184. 2013.
- Christopher A McKay and Ryan J Gilbert, “Design of hydrogel biomaterial interfaces for the injured spinal cord,” Surface Innovations, 2(1): 26-46. 2013.
- Nicholas J Schaub, Sean J Kirkpatrick, Ryan J Gilbert, “Automated methods to determine electrospun fiber alignment and diameter using the radon transform,” BioNanoScience, 3(3):329-342. 2013.
- Vaibhav Pandit, Jonathan M Zuidema, Kathryn N Venuto, James Macione, Guohao Dai, Ryan J Gilbert, Shiva P Kotha, “Evaluation of Multifunctional Polysaccharide Hydrogels with Varying Stiffness for Bone Tissue Engineering,” Tissue Engineering Part A. 19(21-22):2452-2463. 2013.
- Andres Hurtado, Ryan J Gilbert, Han B Wang, Jared M Cregg, Michael E Mullins, Martin Oudega, “Three-dimensional scaffolds, methods for fabricating the same, and methods of treating a peripheral nerve or spinal cord injury,” US Patent Application. 20130110138. 13/638923.
- Joshua S McLane, Nicholas J Schaub, Ryan J Gilbert, Lee A Ligon, “Electrospun Nanofiber Scaffolds for Investigating Cell-Matrix Adhesion,” Adhesion Protein Protocols. Methods in Molecular Biology 1046, 371-388. 2013.
- MA Roberts, U Mendez, RJ Gilbert, AP Keim, J Goldman, “Increased hyaluronan expression at distinct time points in acute lymphedema,” Lymphatic Research and Biology. 10(3):122-128. 2012.
- Trevor J Simmons, Christopher J Rivet, Gurtej Singh, Julie Beaudet, Eric Sterner, Daniela Guzman, Daniel P Hashim, Sang-Hyun Lee, Guoguang Qian, Kim M Lewis, Pankaj Karande, Pulickel M Ajayan, Ryan J Gilbert, Jonathan S Dordick, “Application of carbon nanotubes to wound healing biotechnology,” Nanomaterials for Biomedicine,” 155-174. 2012.
- Christopher J Rivet, Yuan Yuan, Diana-Andra Borca-Tasciuc, Ryan J Gilbert, “Altering iron oxide nanoparticle surface properties induce cortical neuron cytotoxicity,” Chemical Research in Toxicology. 25(1):153-161. 2011.
- Andres Hurtado, Jared M Cregg, Han B Wang, Dane F Wendell, Martin Oudega, Ryan J Gilbert, John W McDonald, “Robust CNS regeneration after complete spinal cord transection using aligned poly-L-lactic acid microfibers,” Biomaterials. 32(26): 6068-6079. 2011.
- Nicholas J Schaub, Ryan J Gilbert, “Controlled release of 6-aminonicotinamide from aligned, electrospun fibers alters astrocyte metabolism and dorsal root ganglia neurite outgrowth,” Journal of Neural Engineering. 8(4): 046026. 2011.
- Jonathan M Zuidema, Matthew M Pap, David B Jaroch, Faith A Morrison, Ryan J Gilbert, “Fabrication and characterization of tunable polysaccharide hydrogel blends for neural repair,” Acta Biomaterialia. 7(4):1634-1643. 2011
- Ryan J Gilbert, Christopher J Rivet, Jonathan M Zuidema, Phillip G Popovich, “Biomaterial design considerations for repairing the injured spinal cord,” Critical Reveiws in Biomedical Engineering. 39(2). 125-180. 2011.
- Han Bing Wang, Michael E Mullins, Jared M Cregg, Connor W McCarthy, Ryan J Gilbert, “Varying the diameter of aligned electrospun fibers alters neurite outgrowth and Schwann cell migration,” Acta Biomaterialia. 6(8): 2970-2978. 2010.
- Zheng Cao, Ryan J Gilbert, Wei He, “Simple agarose-chitosan gel composite system for enhanced neuronal growth in three-dimensions,” Biomacromolecules. 10(10): 2954-2959. 2009.
- Jared M Cregg, Sherri L Wiseman, Nicole M Pietrzak-Goetze, Martyn R Smith, David B Jaroch, Daniel C Clupper, Ryan J Gilbert, “A rapid, quantitative method for assessing axonal extension on biomaterial platforms,” Tissue Engineering Part C: Methods. 16(2): 167-172. 2009.
- Andrew B Delvaux, Matthew T Trombley, Chris J Rivet, Joshua J Dykla, Dennis Jensen, Martyn R Smith, Ryan J Gilbert, “Design and development of a cardiopulmonary resuscitation mattress,” Journal of Intensive Care Medicine. 24(3): 195-199. 2009.
- Han Bing Wang, Michael E Mullins, Jared M Cregg, Andres Hurtado, Martin Oudega, Matthew T Trombley, Ryan J Gilbert, “Creation of highly aligned electrospun poly-L-lactic acid fibers for nerve regeneration applications,” Journal of Neural Engineering. 6(1):016001. 2009.
- Google Scholar Page: http://scholar.google.com/citations?user=xf4iThwAAAAJ&hl=en