B. Wayne Bequette
Professor and Technology Manager, CESMII Northern Regional Manufacturing Center
B. Wayne Bequette is a Professor of Chemical and Biological Engineering and the Technology Manager for the Northern Regional Center of the Clean Energy Smart Manufacturing Innovation Institute (CESMII) at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. His research efforts are focused on the modeling and control of biomedical and chemical process systems. Professor Bequette is the author of over 100 refereed journal publications and two textbooks published by Prentice Hall – (i) Process Control: Modeling, Design and Simulation (2003), and (ii) Process Dynamics: Modeling, Analysis and Simulation (1998).
He serves as Board Secretary for the American Automatic Control Council and President of the Computer Aids for Chemical Engineering Corporation. Dr. Bequette is a founding member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Diabetes Science and Technology, and serves on the Editorial Board of Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research. He is a Fellow of IEEE, AIChE and the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineers, and was inducted into the Arkansas Academy of Chemical Engineers. He is an avid bicyclist (commuting to campus in upstate NY throughout the entire year) and pole-vaulter (Master’s level competition refers more to age than skill level).
1980 B.S. Ch.E. University of Arkansas, Fayetteville 1985 M.S.E. University of Texas, Austin 1986 Ph.D. University of Texas, Austin
- Bequette BW. Process Control Education and Practice: Past, Present and Future. Comp. Chem. Engng. 2019;28:538-556. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compchemeng.2019.06.011
- Forlenza GP, Cameron FM, Ly TT, Lam D, Howsmon DP, Baysal N, Kulina G, Messer L, Clinton P, Levister C, Patek SD, Levy CJ, Wadwa RP, Maahs DM, Bequette BW, Buckingham BA. Fully Closed-loop Multiple Model Predictive Controller (MMPPC) Artificial Pancreas (AP) Performance in Adolescents and Adults in a Supervised Hotel Setting. Diabetes Technol. Ther. 2018;20(5):335-343.
- DP Howsmon, N Baysal, BA Buckingham, GP Forlenza, TT Ly, DM Maahs, T Marcal, Lindsey Towers, Eric Mauritzen, Sunil Deshpande, Lauren M. Huyett, Jordan E. Pinsker, Ravi Gondhalekar, Francis J. Doyle III, Eyal Dassau, Juergen Hahn, B. Wayne Bequette. Real-time Detection of Infusion Site Failures in a Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas. J. Diabetes Sci. Technol. 2018;12(3):599-607. https://doi.org/10.1177/19322968187551
- Bequette BW, Cameron F, Buckingham BA, Maahs DM, Lum J. Overnight Hypoglycemia and Hyperglycemia Mitigation for Individuals with Type 1 Diabetes. How risks can be reduced. IEEE Control Systems 2018, February, pp. 125-134. 10.1109/MCS.2017.2767119
- GP Forlenza, D Raghinaru, F Cameron, BW Bequette, HP Chase, RP Wadwa, DM Maahs, E Jost, TT Ly, DM Wilson, L Norlander, L Ekhlaspour, H Min, P Clinton, N Njeru, JW Lum, C Kollman, RW Beck, BA Buckingham for the In-Home Closed-Loop (IHCL) Study Group. Predictive hyperglycemia and hypoglycemia minimization: in-home double-blind randomized controlled evaluation in children and young adolescents. Pediatric Diabetes. 2018;19(3):420-428. DOI: 10.1111/pedi.12603
- Ramkissoon C, Aufderheide B, Bequette BW, Vehi J. Safety and Hazards Associated with the Artificial Pancreas. IEEE Rev. Biomed. Eng. 2017;10:44-62.DOI 10.1109/RBME.2017.2749038
- Cameron FM, Ly TT, Buckingham BA, Maahs DM, Forlenza GP, Levy CJ, Lam D, Clinton P, Messer LH, Westfall E, Levister C, Xie YY, Baysal N, Howsmon D, Patek SD, Bequette BW. Closed-loop Control without Meal Announcement in Type 1 Diabetes. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2017;19(9):527-532. DOI: 10.1089/dia.2017.0078.
- Forlenza GP, Deshpande S, Ly TT, Howsmon DP, Cameron F, Baysal N, Mauritzen E, Marcal T, Towers L, Bequette BW, Huyett LM, Pinsker JE, Gondhalekar R, Doyle FJ III, Maahs DM, Buckingham BA, Dassau E. Application of Zone Model Predictive Control Artificial Pancreas During Extended Use of Infusion Set and Sensor: A Randomized Crossover-Controlled Home-Use Trial. Diabetes Care, 2017;40:1096-1102. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc17-0500
- T Spaic, M Driscoll, D Raghiaru, BA Buckingham, DM Wilson, P Clinton, HP Chase, DM Maahs, GP Forlenza, E Jost, I Hramiak, T Paul, BW Bequette, F Cameron, RW Beck, C Kollan, JW Lum, TT Ly. Predictive Hyperglycemia and Hypoglycemia Minimization: In-Home Evaluation of Safety, Feasibility, and Efficacy in Overnight Control in Type 1 Diabetes. Diabetes Care, 2017;40(3):359-366. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc16-1794
- Bequette, B.W. Control in Physiology and Medicine. Chapter 2 (pp. 13-44) in Modelling Methodology for Physiology and Medicine, E. Carson and C. Cobelli (eds.), 2nd edition, Academic Press (2014).
- Maahs DM, Calhoun P, Buckingham BA, Chase HP, Hramiak I, Lum J, Cameron F, Bequette BW, Aye T, Paul HT, Slover R, Wadwa P, Wilson DM, Kollman C, Beck RW. A randomized trial of a home system to reduce hypoglycemia in type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2014
- Wang Y, Fang M, Jiang X, Bequette BW, Xie H, Intensive insulin therapy for critically ill subjects based on direct data-driven model predictive control. J. Proc. Cont. 2014;24
- Ramkissoon C, Aufderheide B, Bequette BW, Palerm CC. A model of glucose-insulin-pramlintide pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics in type 1 diabetes. J. Diabetes Sci. Technol. 2014;8(2)(on-line, ahead of print: doi:10.1177/1932296813517323).
- Stenerson M, Cameron F, Wilson DM, Harris B, Payne S, Bequette BW, Buckingham BA. The impact of accelerometer and heart rate data on hypoglycemia mitigation in type 1 diabetes. J. Diabetes Sci. Technol, 2014;8(1):64-69.
- Bequette, B.W. Algorithms for a Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas: The Case for Model Predictive Control (MPC). J. Diabetes Sci. Technol. 2013;7(6):1632-1643.
- Buckingham BA, Cameron F, Calhoun P, Maahs DM, Wilson DM, Chase HP, Bequette BW, Lum J, Sibayan J, Beck RW, Kollman C. Outpatient safety assessment of an in-home predictive low-glucose suspend system with T1D subjects at elevated risk of nocturnal hypoglycemia. Diabetes Tech. Ther. 2013;15(8):622-627.
- Mahapatra P, Bequette BW. Design and Control of an Elevated-Pressure Air Separations Unit for IGCC Power Plants in a Process Simulator Environment. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 52(9):3178-3191 (2013).
- Bequette BW. Challenges and Progress in the Development of a Closed-loop Artificial Pancreas. Annual Reviews in Control 36, 255-266 (2012).
- Cameron F, Niemeyer G, Bequette BW. Extended multiple model prediction with application to blood glucose regulation. J. Process Control, 22(7):1422-1432 (2012).
- Sun J, Cameron, Bequette BW. A Habituating Blood Glucose Control Strategy for the Critically Ill. J. Process Control, 22(7):1411-1421 (2012).
- Cameron F, Wilson DM, Buckingham BA, Arzumanyan H, Clinton P, Chase HP, Lum J, Maahs DM, Calhoun PM, Bequette BW. In-Patient Studies of a Kalman Filter based Predictive Pump Shut-off Algorithm. J. Diabetes Sci. Technol., 6(5):1142-1147 (2012).
- Weinstock RS, Bristol S, Armenia A, Gesswein AC, Bequette BW, Willis JP. Pilot Study of a Prototype Minimally Invasive Intradermal Continuous Glucose Sensor. J. Diabetes Sci. Technol. 6(6):1454-1463 (2012).
- Cameron, F., B.W. Bequette, D.M. Wilson, B.A. Buckingham, H. Lee and G. Niemeyer “A Closed-Loop Artificial Pancreas Based on Risk Management,” J. Diabetes Sci. Technol., 5(2), 368-379 (2011).
- Joseph El Youssef, Jessica R. Castle, Deborah L. Branigan, Ryan G. Massoud, Mathew E. Breen, Peter G. Jacobs, B. Wayne Bequette, W. Kenneth Ward “A Controlled Study of the Effectiveness of an Adaptive Closed-Loop Algorithm to Minimize Corticosteroid-Induced Stress Hyperglycemia in Type 1 Diabetes J. Diabetes Sci. Technol., 5(6), 1312-1326 (2011).
- Doyle, F.J. III, B.W. Bequette, R. Middleton, B. Ogunnaike, B. Paden, R.S. Parker and M. Vidyasagar, “Control in Biological Systems,” in The Impact of Control Technology, T. Samad and A.M. Annaswamy (eds.), 2011. IEEE Control Systems Society. Available at ieee.org.
- Kuure-Kinsey, M. and B.W. Bequette “A Multiple Model Predictive Control Strategy for Disturbance Rejection,” Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 49(17), 7983-7989 (2010).
- Dassau, E., F. Cameron, H. Lee, B.W. Bequette, H. Zisser, L. Jovanovic, H.P. Chase, D.M. Wilson, B.A. Buckingham and F.J. Doyle III. “Real-time Hypoglycemia Prediction Suite Using Continuous Glucose Monitoring: A safety net for the artificial pancreas,” Diabetes Care, 33(6), 1249-1254 (2010).
- Buckingham, B, H.P. Chase, E. Dassau, E. Cobry, P. Clinton, V. Gage, K. Caswell, J. Wilkinson, F. Cameron, H. Lee, B.W. Bequette, F.J. Doyle III “Prevention of Nocturnal Hypoglycemia Using Predictive Alarm Algorithms and Insulin Pump Suspension,” Diabetes Care, 33(5), 1013-1018 (2010).
- Bequette, B.W. Hypoglycemia Prevention using Low Glucose Suspend Systems. Chapter 3 in Data-driven Modeling for Diagnosis and Treatment of Diabetes. V. Marmarelis and G. Mitsis (eds.). Springer (2014).
- Bequette, B.W. Continuous Glucose Monitoring: Real-Time Algorithms for Calibration, Filtering and Alarms. J. Diabetes Science and Technology, 4(2), 404-418 (2010).
- Andress, R.J., L.L. Martin and B.W. Bequette “A Systems Approach Towards the Identification and Evaluation of Hydrogen Producing Thermochemical Reaction Clusters,” Chapter 41 (pp. 451-459) in Design for Energy and the Environment. Proceedings of the Seventh International Conference on the Foundations of Computer-Aided Process Design. M.M. El-Halwagi and A.A. Linninger (eds.), CRC Press, Taylor & Francis (2010).
- Bequette, B.W. Process Control: Modeling, Design and Simulation, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ (2003).
- Patek, S.D., B.W. Bequette, M. Breton, B.A. Buckingham, E. Dassau, F.J. Doyle III, J. Lum, L. Magni and H. Zisser “In Silico Preclinical Trials: Methodology and Engineering Guide to Closed-Loop Control,” J. Diabetes Science and Technology, 3(2), 269-282 (2009).
- Lee, H., B.A. Buckingham, D.M. Wilson and B.W. Bequette “A Closed-loop Artificial Pancreas Using Model Predictive Control and a Sliding Meal Size Estimator,” J. Diabetes Sci. Tech., 3(5), 1082-1090 (2009).
- Bequette, B.W. “Glucose Clamp Algorithms and Insulin Time-Action Profiles,” J. Diabetes Sci. Tech., 3(5), 1005-1013 (2009).
- Lee, H. and B.W. Bequette “A Closed-loop Artificial Pancreas based on MPC: human-friendly identification and automatic meal disturbance rejection,” Biomedical Signal Processing and Control 4(4), 347-354 (2009).
- Andress, R.J., X. Huang, B.W. Bequette and L.L. Martin “A Systematic Methodology for the Evaluation of Thermochemical Cycles for Hydrogen Production,” Int. J. Hydrogen Energy 34(9), 4146-4154 (2009).
- Bequette, B.W. “A Critical Assessment of Algorithms and Challenges in the Development of an Artificial Pancreas,” Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics, 7(1), 28-47 (2005).
- Bequette, B.W. Process Dynamics: Modeling, Analysis and Simulation, Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ (1998).