Jonathan S. Dordick
Vice President for Research and Howard P. Isermann Professor
Jonathan S. Dordick is the Vice President for Research and the Howard P. Isermann Professor of Chemical and Biological Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Prof. Dordick received his B.A. degree in Biochemistry and Chemistry from Brandeis University and his Ph.D. in Biochemical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He has held chemical engineering faculty appointments at the University of Iowa (1987-1998), where he also served as the Associate Director of the Center for Biocatalysis and Bioprocessing, and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (1998-present) where he also holds joint appointments in the departments of Biomedical Engineering, Materials Science and Engineering, and Biology. Prof. Dordick’s research group includes chemical engineers, bioengineers, materials scientists, biologists, chemists and microbiologists all focused on gaining a quantitative understanding of biological principles and applying them to advance bioengineering, nanobiotechnology, drug discovery, and biomanufacturing. He has received numerous awards, including the 2007 Marvin J. Johnson Award and the 2007 Elmer Gaden Award both of the American Chemical Society, the 2003 International Enzyme Engineering Award, the 1998 Iowa Section Award of the American Chemical Society, and an NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award in 1989. He was elected as a Fellow of the American Chemical Society in 2010, a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science in 2004, and a Fellow of the American Institute of Medical and Biological Engineers in 1996. He presently serves on the Scientific Advisory Boards for several biotechnology companies and venture capital firms, and has cofounded a number of companies, including EnzyMed (now part of Albany Molecular Research, Inc.), Solidus Biosciences, and The Paper Battery Company. Dr. Dordick has published over 330 papers and is an inventor/co-inventor on nearly 40 patents and patent applications.
Ph.D. Biochemical Engineering (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1983), M.S. Biochemical Engineering (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1983), B.A. Biochemistry and Chemistry (Brandeis University, 1980)
- S. Shrivastava, S.A. McCallum, J.H. Nuffer, X. Qian, R.S. Siegel, and J.S. Dordick (2013), “Identifying specific protein residues that guide surface interactions and orientation on silica nanoparticles”, Langmuir, 29, 10841-10849.
- J. Xiong, U. Bhaskar, G. Li, L. Fu, L. Li, F. Zhang, J.S. Dordick, and R.J. Linhardt (2013), “Immobilized enzymes to convert N-sulfo, N-acetyl heparosan to a critical intermediate in the production of bioengineered heparin”, J. Biotechnol. 167, 241-247.
- K.K. Mehta, E.E. Paskaleva, S. Azizi-Ghannad, D.J. Ley, M.A. Page, J.S. Dordick, and R.S. Kane (2013), “Characterization of AmiBA2446, a Novel Bacteriolytic Enzyme Active against Bacillus Species”, Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 79, 5899-5906.
- A.M. Hickey, U. Bhaskar, R.J. Linhardt, and J.S. Dordick (2013), “Effect of Eliminase Gene (elmA) Deletion on Heparosan Production and Shedding in Escherichia coli K5”, J. Biotechnol. 165, 175-177.
- K. Solanki, N. Grover, P. Downs, E.E. Paskaleva, K.K. Mehta, L. Lee, L.S. Schadler, R.S. Kane, and J.S. Dordick (2013), “Enzyme-Based Listericidal Coatings”, Sci. Rep. 3, 1584.
- S.J. Kwon, S.B. Lee, K. Solakyidirim, S. Masuko, M. Ly, F. Zhang, L. Li, J.S. Dordick, and R.J. Linhardt (2012), “Signal Amplification by Glyco-qPCR for Ultrasensitive Detection of Carbohydrates: Applications in Glycobiology”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 51, 11800-11804.
- J.E. Gagner, X. Qian, M.M. Lopez, J.S. Dordick, and R.W. Siegel (2012), “Effect of Gold Nanoparticle Structure on the Conformation and Function of Adsorbed Proteins”, Biomaterials 33, 8503-8516.
- S.-J. Kwon, M. Mora-Pale, M.-Y. Lee, and J.S. Dordick (2012), “Expanding Nature’s Small Molecule Diversity via in Vitro Biosynthetic Pathway Engineering”, Curr. Opin. Chem. Biol. 16, 186-195.
- S.A. Stanley, J.E. Gagner, S. Damanpour, M. Yoshida, J.S. Dordick, and J.M. Friedman (2012), “Radiowave Heating of Iron Oxide Nanoparticles Can Regulate Plasma Glucose in Mice” Science 336, 604-608.
- S. Shrivastava, R.W. Siegel, and J.S. Dordick (2012), “Position-Specific Chemical Modification and Quantitative Proteomics Disclose Protein Orientation Adsorbed on Silica Nanoparticles”, Nano Lett. 12, 1583-1587.
- D.I. Paredes, K. Watters, D.J. Pitman, C. Bystroff, and J.S. Dordick (2011), “Comparative Void-Volume Analysis of Psychrophilic and Mesophilic Enzymes: Structural Bioinformatics of Psychrophilic Enzymes Reveals Sources of Core Flexibility”, BMC. Struct. Biol. 11, 42.
- J. Miao, R.C. Pangule, E.E. Paskaleva, E. Hwang, R.S. Kane, R.J. Linhardt, and J.S. Dordick (2011), “Lysostaphin-Functionalized Cellulose Fibers with Antistaphylococcal Activity for Wound Healing Applications. Biomaterials 32, 9557-9567.
- R.C. Pangule, S.J. Brooks, C.Z. Dinu, G. Zhu, S.S. Bale, S. Salmon, D.W. Metzger, R.S. Kane, and J.S. Dordick (2010), “Antimicrobial Nanocomposite Films Based on Nanotube-Enzyme Conjugates”, ACS Nano 4, 3993-4000.
- T.G. Fernandes, S.-J. Kwon, M.-Y. Lee, M.M. Diogo, D.S. Clark, J.M.S. Cabral, and J.S. Dordick (2010), “Three-Dimensional Cell Culture Microarrays for High-Throughput Studies of Stem Cell Fate”, Biotechnol. Bioeng. 106, 106-118.
- T.G. Fernandes, S.-J. Kwon, M.-Y. Lee, D.S. Clark, J.M.S. Cabral, and J.S. Dordick (2008), “An On-Chip, Cell-Based Microarray Immunofluorescence Assay for High-Throughput Analysis of Target Proteins”, Anal. Chem. 80, 6633-6639.
- M.-Y. Lee, R.A. Kumar, S.M. Sukumaran, M.G. Hogg, D.S. Clark, and J.S. Dordick (2008), “Three-Dimensional Cellular Microarray for High-Throughput Toxicology Assays”, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105, 59-63.