CBIS encourages industry to explore joint investigation and commercialization opportunities. We work closely with the Office of Intellectual Property Optimization (OIPO) to streamline collaborations between Rensselaer experts and industry, including protecting intellectual property at the outset of any discussion using the appropriate level of non-disclosure agreement.
Partnering with CBIS offers numerous advantages:
- Top-tier scientists engaged in transformative research investigations
- Translational research collaborations with Rensselaer centers for urgent interventions to health threats, such as COVID-19
- Research and education initiatives funded by academic, government, association, and industry organizations
- Resources to address a broad spectrum of global health challenges
- Fundamental and applied initiatives to accelerate discovery and development of innovative solutions to global challenges
- Industry-friendly mechanisms for commercialization
- Cutting-edge research and programs across many fields, including full-spectrum training of tomorrow’s biotech knowledge and workforce leaders
If discussions proceed to serious exploration of potential partnerships, we work with OIPO to prepare a Scope of Work that clearly sets out all provisions of a joint endeavor, stipulating the many detailed obligations of both parties regarding intellectual property ownership rights, commercialization investigation criteria, the technology transfer process, and commercialization.
Companies and organizations that are interested in possible licensing partnership can contact our office and also consult OIPO’s searchable database of current programs.
Faculty that want to learn more about the possibilities for funding, patenting, and possibly commercializing their discoveries will find a wealth of resources through OIPO and its detailed Inventor’s Guide.
For more information contact:
Center for Biotechnology and Interdisciplinary Studies
Deepak Vashishth, Ph.D.
Director CBIS and Professor, Biomedical Engineering
Office of Intellectual Property Optimization