The Genomics Research core is located on the second floor in the Center for Biotechnology and Interdisciplinary Studies.
The facilities offer NGS library preparation, sequencing and data analysis services, featuring Illumina NextSeq 550 sequencer, iSeq 100 sequencer, Agilent 2100 Bioanalyzer, Qubit 4 flurometer, Bio-Rad thermal cycler, Bio-Rad nucleic acid electrophoresis system and Dell 48-core server ‘double-helix’. Roche LightCycler and Bio-Rad ChemiDoc from CMB core are utilized for qPCR amplification and nucleic acid imaging.
Only DNA and RNA samples are accepted in compliance with RPI Institutional Biosafety Committee protocols and policies.
|Sample Type||genomic DNA||total RNA||self-prepared library|
|Sample Purity (OD260/280)||1.8-2.0||1.8-2.0||1.8-2.0|
|Recommended RIN||/||≥ 7.0||/|
|Recommended Quantity||>5 µg, >100 ng/µl||>3 µg, >100 ng/µl||10-50 nM, ≥ 10ul|
|Resuspension Buffer||nuclease-free water, EB, or low TE buffer||nuclease-free water||nuclease-free water, EB, or low TE buffer|
|Shipment Method||dry ice||dry ice||dry ice|
Note: for dsDNA library, use the following formula to convert from ng/μl to nM:
(concentration in ng/μl) / (600 g/mol x average library size in bp) x 106 = concentration in nM
Step 1 - Request a project:
- For iLab users, click on https://rpi.corefacilities.org/account/login to log in the Genomics core iLab website. Under ‘Request Services’ tag, click ‘initiate request’ button to fill in project information step by step.
- For other users, please download and fill in the Project and Sample Request Form and email to email@example.com. New iLab account can be set up by request.
Step 2 - Submit sample information:
- For iLab users, templates of sample information will be provided in the system while you fill in your project request. Please download and fill in the template form, change file name (such as user_date) and upload back to iLab.
- For other users, if you submit samples for NGS library preparation and/or QC, please download and fill in the Template of Library Prep and email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you submit self-prepared dsDNA libraries for sequencing, please download and fill in the Template of Sequence Self-prepared library and email to email@example.com.
Step 3 - Deliver nucleic acid samples to the Genomics Core:
- Pack according to the sample requirement and label tubes clearly. A sample list is recommended within the package.
- For non-RPI users, if you order Illumina sequencing kit yourself, please directly ship it from the vendor to our core facility.
- Mailing Address:
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
BioTech Bldg BT2434
110 8th Street
Troy NY, 12180-3590
Raw sequencing data will be stored in the core server for three months free of charge. Requesting further storage, please contact the core director (Yang Bai, firstname.lastname@example.org).
Monday and Thursday 4:00pm-5:00pm consultation is free of charge.
Other time consultation is by appointment only with hourly personnel fee.
Monday to Friday 9:00AM to 5:00PM
Users will be required to provide billing information prior to requesting services. Users with multiple billing accounts should specify the account number to be charged upon sign-up. Both internal and external users will be billed on a monthly basis. Providing fraudulent and/or inaccurate billing information may result in the loss of use privileges.